[OM] Travel kit questions

Subject: [OM] Travel kit questions
From: "Daniel Mitchell" <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:03:26 -0600
 Fairly soon, I'll be leaving Auckland, and need to trim stuff down --
current plans for travel kit:

 OM2S, 24/2, 65-200/4, 35-70/3.5-4.5, 50/1.4, and XA, generic zoom
point+shoot for my wife as pocketable cameras for wandering around,
ultrapod, slik compact tripod, cable release.

 Things I'm not bringing; 55/2.8 macro lens, 17/3.5 super-wide, 500/8,
flash, filters, spare OM10 body. I've used all of those on the trip so far,
but at this point I need to trim weight down, and, looking at the lenses
I've used _often_, it's the four above. Filters I'm sure are great, and they
don't weigh much, but in practise I just never think to use them..

 That's still quite a lot -- any suggestions for further trimming? It's
probably the 50/1.4 that'd be the next one to go; while I've found it really
useful for taking shots inside where there's less light and I can't set up
tripods or the like, I've used the 35-70 a lot more often as a walkaround
lens, and that way there's no obvious duplication.

 The alternative is to ditch the 35-70 in favour of the 50/1.4 and learn to
zoom with my feet.. In some ways, I like that as a reasonably fast three
lens kit, but the flexibility for tweaking cropping in the viewfinder with
the 35-70 is nice, too.

 Maybe I should just take all four, suffer a month of extra weight, and post
whichever one I haven't used back home separately..

 -- dan