Re: [OM] M1 offered by ebay member(?)

Subject: Re: [OM] M1 offered by ebay member(?)
From: Andrew L Wendelborn <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 15:29:37 +0930
>I'ts probably just me, but a "brand new" M1 outfit just smells scam to me...

These scams are getting popular.

A few months ago we bid on a moderately expensive item and just missed out.
The came an email (via ebay) offering the same item.
I traced the email back to Moscow. But the ebay id (0 feedback) was registered
in Australia. This was immediately suspicious but nonetheless we made
contact to see what would happen. The person concerned sent a photo.
He was easily caught out as lacking knowledge of what he was selling with
a few pointed questions and inability to provide another photo. We dropped
the correspondence but nonetheless received quite a few emails from Russia
over the next month.

Then someone on another list reported on nearly being caught parting with
money for an expensive piece of audio equipment. Same scenario, but
attempting to legitimize it by providing details of an agent for escrow.
Turned out the agent was bogus, but if the potential buyer had not had
the foresight to investigate that, it would have been goodbye $3K.

regards
  Andrew