Re: [OM] Macro Flash Shoe Ring question

Subject: Re: [OM] Macro Flash Shoe Ring question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 13:31:12 -0700
Richard Hawkins wrote:

Does the Macro Flash Shoe Ring allow for the use of t20 or t32's? Are their
any difficulties in using a t20 or a t32 with it?
The shoes are standard size, so any flash foot will fit. Issues I can see are:

- The T28 heads are MUCH smaller and lighter than even the T20. The extra weight would put unintended strain on the plastic shoe assemblies, ring and lens. The ring is metal, but the shoe mechanisms are rather lightweight plastic. More than adequate for the T28 heads, but I wouldn't risk the bigger flashes on them myself. They will hold a T32, but I wouldn't want to see what happened if I banged them against something.

- The extra size makes positioning the flash(s) problematic in some circumstances. The T28 heads project forward only about 5/8" from the shoe and have a built in angle adjustment so one can light something as close as about 1" in front of the ring.. A T32 projects forward about 3", and has a 15 deg downward tilt. The closest it would be possible to light something looks to be about 5-6". I don't have a T20, but I know it doesn't tilt down, so the distance would likely be greater.

- These are not hot shoes, so the flash(es) will have to be fired by synch cord(s). No problem with 'T' cord(s), T32 and OM-2s or later body. T20 and/or earlier or double digit body means adapters needed.

Moose