Re: [OM] Zuiko 300mm f4.5

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 300mm f4.5
From: Andrew L Wendelborn <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 10:00:40 +0930
Thanks to all for your replies on this question -- it seems OM owners
are a loquacious lot!

Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Ahh...the early stages of zuikoholism :) How long ago it is, that we
>have seen those. Andrew, meet Tom S. -- the guy who will help you
>develop into a terminal case like the rest of us :)

Yes, the problem with Zuiko stuff is that once you hold it and look at it
and play with it you "feel" its quality and can't let it go. Is that
"zuikoholism"?

Hello Tom -- there's certainly many interesting items at the URL you posted.

>Btw., good that you're both finding the "addiction" together. That
>way, you will avoid the problem of either negotiating with or
>smuggeling gear by a sceptical spouse, whenever the "need" for
>something new arrises :)

We share the addiction. Rosemary is now more into smaller cameras e.g.
Minolta (16 II and 110 SLR), Pentax Auto Half, and on the Olympus side
a Pen D, XA2/A11+A16, but the prize is a very nice original XA/A11
sitting on its little Olympus tripod. Expensive items we purchase by mutual
agreement -- makes for a modicum of self-control.

>... many helpful comments snipped ...
> > I've had interesting results using the 150 zoom for
>> macro photos, but I think this one would be a bit of overkill for
>> that.
>>

>Ohh, definitely overkill. In fact, I would not use a zoom for that
>ever, if for no other reason than that zoom's in general are not very
>fast (compared to primes) and are much bigger and heavier (thus
>harder to keep steady).

I agree, the zoom is a bit slow and not so sharp (which is why we've
decided to eventually pick up a small range of fixed telephotos). But
on a bellows the zoom is in effect a focus and can give an interesting
perspective on certain subjects at a greater distance (say 1 to 2 metres).
For example I used it in a range of shots on a flowering plant we have,
from right inside the flower itself (the flower is actually under water
so this is an interesting effect at macro distances with shallow DoF)
out through the range of bellows extension, and then with the zoom on
the bellows to show more of the plant. There's probably better ways
to do it, but it worked what I had at hand.

>I'd use either a prime (almost "any prime") in the normal range
>on your bellow, or I would get one of the Zuiko 50mm macro's. I have
>only the 50/3.5, but I am amazingly happy with it.

That's actually next on the list. So must decide if it's worth
postponing that to get this telephoto. I'm actually getting quite
interesting macro results with the 50/1.8 and 35/2.8 lenses in both
normal and reversed positions on the bellows, but can't help but
wonder how much better a 50/3.5 would be.

Thanks for your comments, Thomas -- much appreciated. I see you are at
INRIA Rocquencourt (hence the Paris Air Show). I've visited INRIA
Sophia Antipolis (near Nice) a few times (project OASIS). I think you
gave a talk there a couple of years ago. Small world!

Anyway this is getting too long and I have work to do.

Will post some more comments later.

thanks again
  Andrew