Re: [OM] Zuiko 300mm f4.5

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 300mm f4.5
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 16:17:28 +0200
On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 10:00:40 +0930
Andrew L Wendelborn <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>

> Yes, the problem with Zuiko stuff is that once you hold it and look
> at it and play with it you "feel" its quality and can't let it go.
> Is that"zuikoholism"?

It's well on the way to Zuikoholism. You know that you have it bad
when your "I need a few primes" turns into "I need a few primes, then
I have them all.....in both filter-sizes" :)

<SNIP>

> >I'd use either a prime (almost "any prime") in the normal range
> >on your bellow, or I would get one of the Zuiko 50mm macro's. I
> >have only the 50/3.5, but I am amazingly happy with it.
>
> That's actually next on the list. So must decide if it's worth
> postponing that to get this telephoto. I'm actually getting quite
> interesting macro results with the 50/1.8 and 35/2.8 lenses in both
> normal and reversed positions on the bellows, but can't help but
> wonder how much better a 50/3.5 would be.

Uhmm....ehh...uhmm...:)

Short tele vs. 50/3.5 for macro. Tell you what, if you are happy with
your macro shots as they are with the gear you have, a short tele is
probably before the 50/3.5 on the list :) A 50/1.8 on a bellows is by
no means a bad thing.

> Thanks for your comments, Thomas -- much appreciated. I see you are
> at INRIA Rocquencourt (hence the Paris Air Show). I've visited

Yeah, sorta :)

> INRIA Sophia Antipolis (near Nice) a few times (project OASIS). I
> think you gave a talk there a couple of years ago. Small world!

Well, I remember vividly. I had a nice talk prepared, AND I had a
nice laptop. only 3 months old. Then, on the morning where I was
supposed to give the talk, my harddisk decided that it was time to
give up and crash. Of course, real men do not take
backups....ever....not even of the slides for the talk. (Adding
insult to injury, the laptop came with a 24h next-day on-site
world-wide service contract, yet somehow it still took 3 weeks to get
the harddisk repaired....)

I do not remember, though, if I excused mysef from the talk, or if I
staggered through while jotting hopeless figures and key-points on
the whiteboard. I do know, though, that a large part of the slides
were supposed to be comparison graphs, and that I definitely would
have a hard time reproducing those on a whiteboard.

But I did enjoy my stay in Sophia/Nice -- took some nice photos there
too; Cote d'Azur really has "K25-weather" :)

> Anyway this is getting too long and I have work to do.

Work? Ahh, ok, that thing that permits us to feed our addiction :)

Cheers,

--thomas