Re: [OM] Fool proof way?

Subject: Re: [OM] Fool proof way?
From: Johnie Stafford <jms@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 30 Jun 2003 04:07:15 -0500

 rfm> At 09:43 PM 6/29/2003 -1000, Daniel wrote:

 >> This year I'm up to some 30 rolls of film but embarrassing I have
 >> shot 3 BLANK rolls of film :( I swear I can tell the different
 >> between an empty winding of the film to an empty one.  Dumb
 >> question; how can I be sure I have film in the camera after losing
 >> track sometimes?
 >> Dan

 rfm> Spin the crank. No film and there won't be any tension.

 rfm> Lose a few more rolls and you won't forget :-)

That was going to be my suggestion. It happened to me when I was in
college and we were shooting group shots for the yearbook. We would
schedule the ballroom every night for a week and shuffle all the
groups through one of 3 or 4 shooting stations. All the photographers
begged for the chance to do groups. We were paid per published shot.
On a normal assignment, you might bust your tail for hours for one or
two shots in the book. With groups, you were almost guaranteed at
least 2 and as many as 4 published shots per hour depending on if all
of your groups showed up for their appointments or not. But when I
lost that entire roll, I had to get in touch with over a dozen groups
and make arrangements for them to either come back to one of the later
nights or I had to catch up with them at a later date for reshoots. It
was a both embarrassing and expensive mistake on my part. Thankfully,
it was a repeatable event, if it had been an event that I couldn't
have reshot, I would have lost my job, never bought my -4T, and
probably would have sold my -2n. And I wouldn't be here today boring
everyone with a rambling "what he said" reply.

Anyway, that day was when I learned the "spin the crank" trick, and it
hasn't happened again. Its second nature now, I do it all the time
without even realizing I'm doing it.

Johnie