Re: [OM] OM-3 or 4T?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-3 or 4T?
From: VS <VS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:39:33 +1000
In the message I received, "Walt Wayman" writes:
>I've stayed out of this, mainly because the candidate of my
>choice, the 4T, was winning by a landslide.  But now there's at
>least one vote for the 3, or actually more for the 3Ti, I suppose.

Yeah, I've stayed out of this as well. This 3 versus 4 topic rears its
ugly heard all to often and all to often there's a lot of personal
opinion being sold as facts. At times even by those that don't have any
longer term personal experience with the subjects. Sadly.

My favorite is the 3, if you haven't realised yet. :-) I like it for
what it is, an all-mechanical camera that lets me take photos just the
way I like it. My better half has a 4Ti and on occasions I'd use that
one, but generally in manual mode.

I like 3 because it makes me work to get the photo, not just set the
aperture and click away, like 4Ti tends to do - at least for me. With 3,
I'll (usually) take a look around, do multiple spot metering to make
sure I have the right speed/aperture setting, adjust exposure again if
needed/wanted, then depress the shutter release. With 4, I'll take a
look around, do multiple spot metering if I remember and then just snap
away. End results are usually what I wanted, but not always. If I need
to take photos quickly (mostly street photo type of thing), both cameras
work about the same for me, since I'll pre-set the shutter speed and
aperture on 3 and leave 4 in auto mode and pre-set the aperture
only. Sure, you get hits and misses, but doing that kind of photography
you're bound to.

Sure, 3 doesn't have mirror lock-up, and everyone is going to bring this
up at least half a dozen times. They won't say how often they use this
feature, nor how much does it really help. I mean _really_, when you put
up a 20x30 photo, are you going to look at it from up close to see how
sharp it is, or are you going to step back and look at it from the
distance appropriate for viewing such photo?

Sure, 3 doesn't synch with flash at all speeds, but 4Ti only does it
with F280 and no other flash (somebody please correct me on this
one). How many actually use F280? There's one on yaBe going for $150
BIN:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2936860491&category=15221

There's also the sour grapes talk akin to "If I wanted an all manual
camera, I'd buy OM-1n" and similar. Sure, OM-1(n) is a great camera,
yes, it even has mirror lock-up, it is fairly cheap and abundant. But it
doesn't have multiple spot-metering facility, which I grew to like; it
doesn't take 2-series screens without adjustments, etc.

And yes, OM-3 and 3Ti were made for collectors. :-)

[Walt's list of OM godies snipped]

>Guess which I use the least.  It's probably mostly a matter of
>modus operandi and familiarity from years of use.  The truth is,
>you wouldn't be wrong choosing and using either.

Walt, resident sage and curmudgeon has spoken. :-)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll go and buy sir Stephen of Troy a beverage
of his choice in this exclusive(huh?) OM-3(Ti) users club.

Saso