Re: [OM] Just got back from Thailand

Subject: Re: [OM] Just got back from Thailand
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:59:02 +0100

Albert wrote:

I have yet to
master night photography, as far as metering, as the OM1n's meter is great in the daytime, but pretty much useless at night.

I tend to find that for city scenes it's possible to get a meter reading by opening up to full aperture and setting the film speed to 1600. Then you can scale up the exposure according to the aperture and film speed you've actually got. It becomes much easier to judge exposure times with a little bit of experience. It's worth persevering in my opinion, because I think night shots that come out nicely are among the most satisfying photos to take.

A couple of night photos I have taken recently are these:

http://www.worldtraveller.f9.co.uk/travel/balkans/photos/TZL04-S04-01.jpg
http://www.worldtraveller.f9.co.uk/travel/sweden/photos/SW2-S2-08.jpg

I think they illustrate the point that it's usually better to take 'night' photos when there's still some light in the sky. I like the first shot more but I wish it had sky like the second one.

Roger