Re: [OM] Just got back from Thailand

Subject: Re: [OM] Just got back from Thailand
From: "Daniel Mitchell" <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 00:01:22 -0600
> I have yet to master night photography, as far as metering, as the OM1n's
> meter is great in the daytime, but pretty much useless at night.

 I was just out taking shots of Auckland by night recently, and I found that
while it's hard to meter for 'night', it's a lot easier to spot meter on a
thing in the scene that I want to come out right and let the rest of the
scene fend for itself.

 Of course, if you don't have a spot meter, you're scuppered.

 Or are you? I've always wondered -- given a bit of extra effort on the part
of the photographer, couldn't you use a longer lens as a sort of substitute
for a spot meter? The angle of view of (say) a 200mm is just over 1/4 that
of a 50mm, which is, if not a 'spot', at least enough to narrow things down
a bit.

 That then still leaves two bits of effort -- firstly, swapping lenses back
and forth, and secondly, calculating the relevant exposure offsets in your
head.

 Theoretically, though, shouldn't this work?

 (of course, this only applies to night scenes with light sources in them --
I have no idea how to meter in the countryside under moonlight, but I guess
for that you can just memorise the night-time equivalents of Sunny 16 and go
from there)

 -- dan