Re: [OM] Two Truths and a Lie

Subject: Re: [OM] Two Truths and a Lie
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 00:54:30 -0500
At 11:13 PM 6/16/03, you wrote:
John...Enjoyed visiting your gallery and was especially taken with
"Odoriferous" shot...Just great...I have a question on "We're Finally
OK"...The lens was a 50mm f/1.4...What is the 0.18 Fisheye auxiliary
lens?...Martin

Thanks,
The amaryllis one was a "grab" shot done on the spur of the moment. The aux fisheye is a very old Kenko. Another company badged these things, but I cannot remember their name. May have been Spiratone. Had one of them a few years ago. They were essentially the same design, and I suspect they were actually made by the same company several years apart (there were slight differences, but not much). They come up regularly on the eB*y, or at least did come up a number of years ago. They're not the sharpest, especially around the edges. I use it with the with the Mamiya M645 now. For some reason, it's sharper in combination with the Sekor 80/2.8 than with the Zuiko 50/1.4 lenses.

If you go looking for one, ensure it comes with an adapter plate, preferably for 49mm filter ring. New, they came with three: 49mm, 52mm and 55mm, but most people threw away or lost the two they never used. For the Mamiya's 58mm ring, I use the 55mm adapter with very sturdy, brass B+W 58-55 stepdown ring, and it's better to step down from a larger filter ring to a smaller adapter size than step up to a larger one (doesn't move the aux lens as far from the primary one). Slow, permanently focused at inifinity and fun to play with, but optically they're most *definitely* no substitute for an 8mm prime.

-- John