Re: [OM] In Defen[s,c]e of the OM4[] [was] plain OM4 questions

Subject: Re: [OM] In Defen[s,c]e of the OM4[] [was] plain OM4 questions
From: "John Hermanson" <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 14:34:17 -0400
When the 4 first came out they had no idea there was such a battery drain
problem, so heading the problem off at the pass by issuing strict battery
requirements was not built into the instruction book.  At first (as I
recall) there may have been a separate sheet packed with the 4 saying that
alkaline, lithium or silver oxide batteries could be used.  AIR, the 4
originally came new packed with alkaline batteries.
After lots of testing, discussion and consensus, that was later over-ruled
to the nth degree by customer service advising upset customers that ONLY
silver oxide batteries could be used.  Later production may have come with a
slip saying to use S.O. batteries only.  I don't know.  OM-2N came with a
pink slip stating same as the 2 was designed around them and before alkaline
and silver oxide batteries were available.

I personally exchanged dozens, if not hundreds, of OM-4s for slightly newer
versions as Olympus made them available.

Another test to tell you if you have the oldest type 4:  Put body cap on
body, set camera to "auto".  Fire shutter on AUTO, shutter stays open.
While shutter is open, switch lever to MANUAL position  and remove body cap.
If newer type, shutter should have closed as soon as you switched to MANUAL.
If oldest type, shutter will stay open even though switch is on manual and
body cap is off.

John Hermanson  www.zuiko.com
21 South Lane, Huntington NY 11743-4714
631-424-2121 For Free Olympus manuals,