[OM] Powering macro flash modelling lights

Subject: [OM] Powering macro flash modelling lights
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 13:54:35 -0300
Well recently I've begun exploring the macro possibilities with my current
OM gear and it's led me to look into using my macro flash equipment more.
However, I think it would be really helpful if I could use the modelling
lights on my flashes. This means I need either a 6V power adapter 2 or the
flash AC adapter 3 (added bonus of powering the T Power control as well).

Ideally, I'm thinking having both options (AC or Battery) would be really
handy.

So this leads me to 2 possibilities.

1. Buy the appropriate gear. Does anyone have a flash AC adapter 3 and/or 2
6v power adapter 2's (need 1 for each flash head for the T28) that they're
willing to sell?

2. Build it. How difficult would it be to build a unit? I'm guessing a
battery powered unit would probably be easier/safer to start with. It looks
like the connectors for the modelling lights are a standard connector. I
tried the various connectors for my universal AC adapter and there were 2
likely candidates (1 which fit better than the other so I'm pretty certain
which to use). I didn't proceed any further because I wasn't certain of the
voltage (although I'm guessing 6V) or the polarity to use and didn't want to
do any damage. The connector for the T Power control is different though, is
it also a standard connector?

Does anyone have any advice for building such a unit? I imagine that a
battery pack for powering the modelling lights on 1 or 2 flash heads would
be a good place to start. Offering extra juice to the T1 would be nice. And
eventually, an AC option would be nice to have for indoor work without using
up the batteries.

Bear in mind that I have only limited electronics knowledge and essentially
no experience. I don't own a soldering iron either (although this could be a
good excuse to get one). I live in Canada though so this doesn't throw off
the current demographic study of soldering iron distribution in the US
that's going on on this list.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx