[OM] Ranking of alcohols by aggressiveness

Subject: [OM] Ranking of alcohols by aggressiveness
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 21:13:05 -0400
At 9:54 PM +0000 6/5/03, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 16:58:37 +0200
>From: maarten.schulte@xxxxxxxxx
>Subject: RE: [OM] ethyl or isopropyl
>
>I shouldn't use iso-propyl alcohol.
>The stuff might damage the plastics and rubber parts of the camera.
>methanol or ethanol are less agressive.

It's the other way around.  Isopropyl is the least aggressive of the bunch.

Basically, the smaller the molecule, the more aggressive the solvent.  The
order is:

Methyl Alcohol  (most aggressive)
Ethyl Alcohol
Isopropyl Alcohol (least aggressive)

Denatured alcohol is a mixture of ethyl and methyl alcohol, the intent being to
make it undrinkable.  It is plausible that this would be called "methylated
spirits" in the UK.

Methyl alcohol is also called "wood alcohol" in the US.  Methanol (not menthol)
is the chemical name.  For some reason, wood alcohol has disappeared from
hardware stores in the US.

Isopropyl alcohol from drugstores in the US comes in two strengths, 70% and
91%.  The balance is water.  The 91 0s the strength to use on cameras.  Not
that it matters; I have never succeeded in dissolving adhesive gunk with
isopropyl alcohol, though it does work with oil and dirt.

Joe