Re: [OM] Re: Olympus 4/3rds + OM lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Olympus 4/3rds + OM lenses
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 09:29:24 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Jan Sturm (GMX) wrote:

> All users of Oly Endoskopic / miroscopi equipment that currently use OM
> Bodies. These are mostly Institutional users (i.e. Hospitals,
> Universities, etc) and the lionshare of sales here is not from the
> cameras, but rather from the gear they attach to. That stuff is OM
> Mount. Not providing a way of mounting the Digital bodies to that stauff
> means going out of the equipment sales of the stuff the current OMs
> attach to - now there's commercial viability in my humble opinion -

All the Olympus scientific equipment uses customs mounts.  Olympus provided
adapters to mount OM equipment to it, but they never used the OM mount
directly on the equipment.  About 5 years ago the scientific equipment
side of Olympus started converting their C-35 film bodies away from a modified
OM body and came up with a cheap plastic substitute.  Even they could see
(or were told!) of the demise of the OM system.  The OM System and its mount
are dead, and Olympus isn't going to try and bring it back.  From a business
point of view that's probably a wise decision.  As a user it's annoying!
                                        -mark