[OM] Re: Olympus 4/3rds + OM lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus 4/3rds + OM lenses
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 23:02:59 -0400
Albert asked about the 4/3 system:
What would be the "zoom" factor?  1.4ish?  So my 50mm would be a 70mm f1.8?
See the official web site <http://www.four-thirds.com/about.htm> where you will see that the sensor is approximately 18x13.5mm vs. 36x24mm for 35mm film. The 18 vs. 36 horizontally is a 2X magnification factor for OM lenses provided that they can be fitted. Myself, I could never come to a conclusion whether the disappearing item at
<http://www.dpreview.com/news/0303/pma2003/olympus/esysgroup.jpg>
was an OM adapter or a teleconverter. Since the camera is so late, I think that if there is a plan for an OM adapter they would already have leaked that news to keep us from defecting to the competition. I still want one even if it does turn my 24mm shift into a 48mm shift.

I have found it interesting to speculate on the likely resolution that will be announced. The E-20 sensor is only 8.8x6.6mm so the 4/3 sensor has over 4 times the area. At the same pixel density as the E-20 the 4/3 sensor would be 20+ megapixels. Of course, Kodak already had a 4/3 sensor at 5 megapixels when the 4/3 announcement was made last year. My own guess is that it will be 9 megapixels. Sufficient resolution to be higly competitive with 35mm film and pixels larger than the E-20 for better speed and noise control.

I guess we'll all know in about three weeks.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA