[OM] Notes on how not to use your 24mm 3.5 shift

Subject: [OM] Notes on how not to use your 24mm 3.5 shift
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 18:04:59 -0400
Sometime in early winter I noticed a beautiful white wooden church not far from my house. I'd passed it many times but never really paid much attention to it until I got my 24 shift and began looking for architectural subjects. I made a mental note to return there when the trees were leafed out and the flowers were blooming.

I've been gone much of the past month or it has been raining and I never got back there. Today, some patches of blue sky showed up amongst some beautiful gray and white cumulus clouds so I decided it was time to go shoot the church.

I couldn't remember the orientation of the church with respect to the compass but when I got there about 4pm the lighting was just perfect and the purple azaleas in the front were blooming. They were a beautiful addition against the white of the church and green of the lawn and other shrubbery.

I thought at first that I could just use the 24/2.8 but had forgotten about the steeple. I couldn't get it all in without tilting the camera so out came the 24mm shift. Since it's hard to meter properly with the shift lens I just put the 24/2.8 on the OM-2s and meter with that.

I tried a few vantage points, leveling the camera each time, shifting the lens so all looks square and also did a little bracketing on the Provia. I ran off about a dozen exposures, looked at my watch and realized that I had to get home soon to meet my wife.

Hauled all the gear back to the car and as I was removing the 24 shift from the body I suddenly spotted the DOF/aperture stop-down button. This was the first time I'd used the lens since last fall. After shooting with auto lenses for more than 30 years it has not yet become second nature to punch that button. Do you think I ever once remembered to close down to the f/11 I was *supposed* to be shooting at????

Mumble, mumble, grumble, grumble.  And the light was SO good.  :-(
Guess I now need a pre-exposure check list.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA