Re: [OM] medical treatment of fungus or surgery only?

Subject: Re: [OM] medical treatment of fungus or surgery only?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 15:21:22 -0700
Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:

Hi all,

About two weeks ago I discovered that a nice colony of fungus was quicly
growing on the back border face of the front element of my Zuiko 21/3.5

Since the front element of this lens is quite thick at its border, where the
fungus spot is located

According to the lens profile o the eSIF, the front element is quite a bit thinner at the edge than at the center.

- well, does it make sense to have it cleaned? It is a MC lens...

The official Oly procedure for cleaning off fungus is with cold cream, specifically Ponds brand. Since it's the front element, it's pretty easy to remove, if you are adept at that sort of thing. Home or shop, it should be dealt with sooner rather than later, as fungus can not only remove the coating(s), but actually mar the surface of the glass.

Moose