Re: [OM] Warning: flying into (and out of) the UK

Subject: Re: [OM] Warning: flying into (and out of) the UK
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 11:24:13 +0100
Further to the discussion about film at UK airports, I was just having a browse around the BAA website and came across this document:

http://www.baa.co.uk/doc/4a19ba337a0593fa80256c0500363ede_main.html

Definitely makes it clear that hand searching is an option for fast film. BAA operate Gatwick, Stansted and Heathrow airports plus a few others, so if you're visiting the UK by air and arriving at those airports it might be worth brandishing a copy of the page. Of course, they've got that nasty clause about 'the final decision in all individual cases will always rest with the on-duty security supervisor'.

I happen to be flying from Stansted tomorrow, might try taking some 800 speed film just to see what results I get asking for a handsearch. Then again, seeing as it's bank holiday weekend and the airport will no doubt be jam packed (and they've also chosen this weekend to close down the Stansted Express for engineering works) I reckon the security guards might not be at their most amenable!

Roger

Thomas Heide Clausen wrote:

Well, I asked for the security supervisor, who informed me that the
rules put out by your TSA (transport safety authority - I assume) did
not permit them to hand-check anything whatsoever. Now, I assume that
the TSA is a government body, which then should be controlled by your
elected representatives....which, by transition, the brittish people
should be in control of. Ohh, wait, you have non-elected
representatives, right? What are they called "house of lords", or
something? Ok, if they are in charge of the TSA, then you are in the
clear :)