Re: [OM] How does program mode on OM2S work?

Subject: Re: [OM] How does program mode on OM2S work?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 23:52:48 -0700
Seems like 2 questions. Theoretical, and practical.

Theoretical: Like a number of cameras of that era, the Nik*n FG comes to mind, the 2s (and PC) have a simple processor programmed with a set of aperture/speed combinations for different light levels. Usually the algorithm is published as a chart in the manual. Later P&S cameras and Auto Modes on better cameras take the idea further with different 'programs' for different purposes, one emphasizing speed, another DOF, etc.

Practical: All non program OMs and the 2s and PC in other modes, simply push the aperture closing lever on the lens as far as it will go before opening the shutter, relying on the aperture set on the lens. In Program Mode, they move the lever part way to set the aperture at the desired stop. For this to work, the aperture setting on the lens has to be at the smaller (numerically largest) aperture or the lens mechanism can prevent the proper setting. Obviously this requires consistency in the radial location of each aperture setting on each lens. They work with most standard Zuikos. There is a list in the PC manual of lenses that don't work properly in Program Mode. I've never seen a 2s manual, but assume it also has such a list. I've compared a couple of 3rd party lenses I like to Zuikos visually and they looked like they might work, but you are on your own to test any you might want to use.

Moose

Fast Primes wrote:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how exactly, does the program mode on the OM2S work? I can puzzle out the automatic and manual modes!