Re: [OM] Hey Buddy, could you spare some change?

Subject: Re: [OM] Hey Buddy, could you spare some change?
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 08:45:58 EDT
In a message dated 5/17/2003 6:23:47 AM Central Standard Time,
waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> my goal for
> photography is to relax from all the other goals of life, and to please no
> one but myself

I couldn't agree more with this goal.  One of the criteria by which I judge
my "work" (perhaps "play" would be a better word) is does it please me.
Others are, "What did I learn from this?", "How can I apply that in the
future?", "Am I pleased with it?" and "Did I have any fun creating it?".
Many years ago, I gave up on making myself wrong or beating myself up if I
didn't reach a particular goal.  This doesn't take a way from the importance
of my setting goals, it just doesn't place a heck of a lot of meaning to it
should I not reach the specific goal.  Should I not move to category "A" this
year, guess what one of my goals might be for next year? For me, setting the
goal and having my activity reflect the goal are at least as important as
actually achieving it.  It is just a process and I find it to be of value and
to not distract from my fun, but rather to add to it.  Some folks don't use
goals anywhere in their life.  I wouldn't dream of that.  What I've found in
my life is that without goals not much changes and if it does change it is
not very predictable.  With goals, where I'll be this time next year is a lot
more in the realm of my control.  Experience tells me, that having written
this goal down and having made it public will greatly enhance the probability
of its occurring.

You have the judging thing pretty well figured out. It is subjective as heck
and often I've felt that the judges had cr*p for brains and that doesn't
deter me from continuing to enter the contests.  I would even like to exhibit
one day, which is putting your stuff out there for everyone to judge.  Some
will like it and others won't.  The biggest critic of my work is me and that
really is the only one "at the end of the day" that means much to me.

Got to go get ready for the baby bird trip. It will involve an hours drive to
Galveston, a ferry ride across the bay to Bolivar, meeting up with 3 or 4 of
my photography buddies, making a bunch of exposures, going back for some
sunsets near the light house, discussions over a meal overlooking the water
and a drive back home.  That sounds like fun and I'll probably get some
images I like and that I can enter in a future club competition.  This
month's special topic was "At the Zoo".  That was a fun shoot and heck I
hadn't been to the zoo in years.  Hope I have a s much fun today as I did on
my zoo trip.  Probably will have more as the zoo trip was solo.  Bill Barber