Re: [OM] Hey Buddy, could you spare some change?

Subject: Re: [OM] Hey Buddy, could you spare some change?
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 08:24:50 -0300
The only problem with meeting your goals is that I suspect they are largely
in the hands of someone else, that is the critics or judges of the photos.
Therefore, the reaching of your goals is mostly dependent on that which is
totally subjective, the opinion of a peer group, and that which is sometimes
a bit sinister, just plain getting accepted and respected in a new peer
group. Any artistic competition I compare to figure skating competitions at
the Olympics, fun to watch, but really frustrating to watch the bias of
judges in scoring.
Your goal is a worthy one nonetheless, but one that I personally have little
interest in. My goal for the end of life is pretty high, but my goal for
photography is to relax from all the other goals of life, and to please no
one but myself. It seems almost everything in my work is of necessity done
under the constant scrutiny of others, so I need to get away from that
sometimes.  :-)
Wayne