Re: [OM] Re: meters

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: meters
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 19:19:36 -0700
I certainly agree that incident metering is the best way to put the tonal range in the same place on film as in the original scene. When using film with limited exposure latitude, this may put some desired detail outside the film's range and defeat the purpose of the shot. In Skip's example the incident reading would lose important shadow detail. In shooting flowers, the exquisite subtle detail in the areas where sunlight shines through petals can be lost as highlight detail for the same reasons. Since I shoot almost exclusively negative film, I seldom run into such a problem, but do keep it in mind when shooting. Whenever highlight detail is blown out in 4x6s or the develop&scans, I find it is there on the film. Particularly true with 160NC. As John L. said, it sure has latitude.

Remember that the OM-4 series has Highlight and Shadow spot metering functions to assist with the dark against darker and white dove against white building problems. They keep tones in at least something near the rignt places in these suituations that the Average and regular Spot Modes don't handle well.

Moose

Skip Williams wrote:

If you have a VERY dark subject, it might be beyond the ability of the film to accurately record the dark tones, but it should place them at the right point on the tonal scale.
You might have to open up to force the tones up where you can see the detail,
but that action should make the tones appear lighter than they really are.