Re: [OM] Slower Zoom Lenses and Weddings

Subject: Re: [OM] Slower Zoom Lenses and Weddings
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 00:15:26 -0400
At 20:38 5/12/03, Moose wrote:
I can't believe you won't be happy with the Tamron. Sharp, good contrast and great handling with very smooth and responsive single touch control. The extra speed is quite a benefit. Weighs 650g vs. the 470g of the Zuiko, but less than the 875 of the 27-105.

You're verifying some of what I finally found about the lens. Scoured the 'net for a while looking for reviews. The current 28-105/2.8 has plenty of reviews for it, but comments about the older 35-105/2.8 are sparse. Finally stumbled across it in the Photodo lens tests. For some reason, the major search engines don't show it there. Has a very respectable 3.6 grade (on a scale that tops out at 4.8). By comparison the AF version of the current 28-105/2.8 has a considerably lower 2.4 grade. In fairness to the manual focus version, I don't know if the AF version is the same formulation as the manual focus SP or not. Photodo only pays attention to MTF grade and although the MTF is quite important, there's more to a lens than just that.

The Adaptall2 is quite easy to install on the lens and then the lens is just like any other for camera mounting. I have several Adaptall lenses and keep adapters on them all so I don't have to fuss with them. I assume you know the bit about geting the right version of the Adaptall2 mount and/or filling the screw hole on the wrong one.

Thanks for the reminder about the mount! I will check it when it arrives. Even if it's the older style I can still use it on the OM-1n and OM-2S which are the two bodies used for weddings. Not exactly what I wanted to sink the $$ into, (want to add to the Mamiya system) but it was a good price and having the right tools is important.

Reason I don't use the OM-4 for weddings that often:
I have a Newton camera rotating flash bracket with tilted left hand grip and a cable release. IMHO, there's less wear/tear attaching and detaching the cable release on OM-2S shutter release button, which is more like the one found on the OM-1[n]/OM-2[n], than there is on the OM-4 shutter release button. In addition, basic TTL-Auto is all that's required for on-camera/bracket flash work. Portra 160NC has enough latitude to put a tractor-trailer in sideways. Sophisticated metering modes are unnecessary. In addition, the 2S I have doesn't seem to consume batteries that heavily, even though it has a green LED that's illuminated for hours at a time.

Thanks,
-- John