[OM] Slower Zoom Lenses and Weddings

Subject: [OM] Slower Zoom Lenses and Weddings
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 15:36:26 -0400
Reason for the Tamron Adaptall II question:

Got home late Friday night and promptly ordered a Tamron 35-105/2.8 SP with OM adaptall II that I had spotted on the internet about a week ago. The 35-105/2.8 is the slightly smaller predecessor to the current 28-105/2.8 Tamron SP. Reason? See the "fun and festivities below."

It will require testing to see how this particular one performs with contrast and apparent sharpness before using it for anything critical. A used 35-80/2.8 Zuiko is significantly more than I want to spend on a zoom and 105mm at the long end is definitely preferred. I use the long end on the Zuiko frequently. Weight and mass isn't that big an issue for me; the camera is already on a camera rotating bracket with a Sunpak 120J. If it doesn't work out I'll turn it around and sell it.

Friday Night's Fun and Festivities:
Shot part of a wedding last Friday night as a "hired gun" for a local friend of mine whw wanted me to double-team a portion of it.

What he did tell me:
a. Location - a large "mansion" built for banquets, etc. - not a church wedding.
  b.  Reception at same location.
  c.  Wedding start time:  6:30 PM (EST; no DST clock changing here).
What he didn't tell me:
  a.  The ceremony would be outdoors.
  b.  He wanted to double up on the ceremony itself (unusual).
c. Desire for some tight shots during the ceremony (requires longer lenses).
What he didn't know until the event (neither did I):
  a.  Temps climbed unusually high with sweltering humidity all afternoon.
  b.  Severe storm warning all evening that grew into a tornado watch.
c. Severe storms the night before had dumped copious rain; the "lawn" was very soggy.

We were watching the sky the entire time. Temps rose to near 90 F and the soggy lawn did nothing to abate the humidity. The guys had no trouble walking around outside, but the bride, bridesmaids, mothers and grandmothers had an interesting time with heels sinking into the ground if they stood in one place for any length of time! Kept waiting for one of the women to find herself stepping out of her shoes. The bride's dress remained pure white for about 5 seconds outside until the train and other portions of the hem picked up mud; this in spite of one of the bridesmaids behind her trying to keep the train off the ground. Fortunately I had remembered my golf towel . . . a handy tool to wipe one's brow when working in sweltering conditions . . . and I have no qualms about rolling up the shirt sleeves or eventually ditching the tie if it gets really bad. Bad, but still didn't approach last July's "Reception From Hell" during one of the summer's hottest days on the second floor of a national guard armory without any air conditioning and little ventilation.

Other than the weather warnings, it was moderately overcast giving softer lighting when we started. Metered outside after I discovered this was an outdoor affair. By running between f/11 and f/16 I could keep the shutter speed just below 1/60th to force some fill from the flash if I wanted it, but could back off to f/8 and perhaps f/5.6 if I didn't (Sunpak 120J TTL plus panel diffuser remoted on a bracket). Sooooo . . . I bolted the 35-105/3.5~4.5 onto the OM-2S and loaded up some Portra 160. Using the 35-105 at something like this is rare for me (see the risks), but needed to get some tight shots from a longer working distance. Didn't want to continuously switch camera bodies with different primes "on the fly" (one with 50/1.4 and the other with an 85/2).

The risks?
The 35-105/3.5~4.5 Zuiko is a "one touch," and its slower aperture varies by 2/3 f-stop at both ends of its range. For accurate flash exposures it should be used with dedicated TTL-Auto; there's more exposure variation in Normal-Auto on the OM-1n. Adjusting focal length can easily shift critical focus unless it's done carefully. Focusing accurately at the short end is not as easy compared to faster lenses. In lower light even with a 2-13 screen in the 2S (or 4) the spot can go blank and the microprism ring difficult to use unless eye position in the viewfinder is kept in a small sweet spot . . . compounding focusing problems. This zoom has been a phenomenal performer in apparent sharpness, including wide open, but it works best in higher ambient light levels.

Just before the ceremony starts, nearly a half-hour late, the overcast develops breaks allowing short periods of nearly direct sun (hazy, but distinctly defined, long shadows). Fill was no longer an option; risk of harsh facial shadows. However, the continously fluctuating lighting varied by at least two stops when breaks in the cloud cover passed over the sun. Keeping indicated shutter speed at/about 1/30th required continuously monitoring the viewfinder and moving the aperture ring . . . in addition to paying attention to other important viewfinder details such as focus, composition and timing.

About halfway through the viewfinder began fogging over from keeping my eye in it too much. Fortunately it didn't rain during the outdoor festivities! We did get another deluge complete with impressive light show shortly after midnight.

There's a limit to working in lower lighting with the 35-105/3.5~4.5 Zuiko with its slower, variable aperture under conditions already presenting other challenges to keep track of. Too much attention to any one aspect of what's in the viewfinder can let something else slide. Time to try a fast, constant aperture zoom.

Hoping the 35-105/2.8 Tamron is acceptable optically and its speed makes life easier.

-- John
Who also had slightly muddy knees from kneeling on the soggy ground.