Re: [OM] Oily Zuiko blades

Subject: Re: [OM] Oily Zuiko blades
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 15:20:49 -0700
Lama, I've never had a lens as bad as you describe, although it is clearly what can eventually happen with oily blades if the also get dirty.

Before that, slow blades can have an opposite effect of giving underexposure. When not yet stuck, the stop down mechanism is easily able to stop the lens down quickly enough, but the blades are slow to return to open, as this action is only driven by a modest spring. In its early stages, this may cause no problem at all unless using a winder, MD, or winding and firing quickly and changing aperture significantly between shots, as the aperture does finally open up. Eventually, the opening delay can become minutes, hours, days...forever.

By far the most common problem with Zuikos is the 50/1.8 MC lens. I have acquired several such as body caps with various bodies and most have at least slightly slow diaphrams. The problem also can occur with the later 'miJ' version, but it is less common (perhaps only relatively early examples, as that's all I have.). Cleaning out the oil in 50/1.8s is fairly easy for anyone reasonablly adept and with tools to work on small mechanisms. However, since the problem is deterioration of the helicoid grease so that a low viscosity component can migrate about in the lens, a long term solution requires replacing the helicoid grease as well.

Moose

Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu wrote:

Tim,
Oily blades eventually cause unpredictable overexposure.  Over time, the oil
picks up dust which makes the blades slow to respond.
<long snip>