Re: [OM] Warbird Fly In!

Subject: Re: [OM] Warbird Fly In!
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 19:02:03 +0100
They look beautiful don't they. But think how much work and money went into that condition. It is one of my last ambitions to fly a powerful, single-seat, single-engined fighter. I have no illusions about the difficulty of controlling such a beast on the ground for takeoff or landing, but I live in hope that someone will give me a go!

I did have a flight about 2 months ago in a Berkut, similar to a LongEze. It belongs to a chap called Glenn Waters and has the registration G-REDX (so anyone could search on the reg if they want to see this lovely little machine). Glenn was brave enough to let me sit in the front with the side-stick controller to zip around the skies around the Fens of Cambridgeshire. Takeoff and landing with a canard control was strange, but easy.

My second ambition is to fly the Hawk again. I was a member of the first Hawk course in 1977 and I loved flying that little rocket ship. It has been uprated and they are crying out for former fast jet jockeys to instruct on them ... trouble is, I would have to move to Anglesey (NW Wales); it's a beautiful place, but it's a long way away from my sons.

Chris