Fw: [OM] OT Ancient computers - was so digital

Subject: Fw: [OM] OT Ancient computers - was so digital
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 23:14:11 -0400
At 6:32 PM +0000 4/7/03, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 16:42:54 +0100
>From: "Sam Shiell" <sam.shiell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Fw: [OM] OT Ancient computers - was so digital
>
>Sorry if this is a repeat... been having a bit of trouble with my setup
>
>As a slight side issue, I used to be an operator on an ICL 1905...... 32 K
>of core memory (which was in a cabinet the size of a wardrobe), 8 K
>exchangeable disk drives and no operating system to talk of... you just
>typed commands straight into the Executive programme (for those that only
>know of "modern" PC computers, I guess that'd be the equivalent of the
>command processor).
>
>I went to the London Science museum a couple of years ago and in the
>Computer section there was a model of an "old" computer room. The model was
>of the computer that I used to operate... I bored the kids telling them what
>all the coloured buttons were called and what they did.

I'd be *very* careful.

We have a Computer Museum in the Boston area, and I saw a computer I had worked
on.  Not just make and model, but serial number I think.

I left very quickly -- who knows but that they might need an early computer
programmer to stuff and mount for a diorama.

Just like those dioramas at the Natural History Museum showing early
hunter-gatherers.

Joe Gwinn