Fw: [OM] OT Ancient computers - was so digital

Subject: Fw: [OM] OT Ancient computers - was so digital
From: "Sam Shiell" <sam.shiell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 16:42:54 +0100
Sorry if this is a repeat... been having a bit of trouble with my setup

As a slight side issue, I used to be an operator on an ICL 1905...... 32 K
of core memory (which was in a cabinet the size of a wardrobe), 8 K
exchangeable disk drives and no operating system to talk of... you just
typed commands straight into the Executive programme (for those that only
know of "modern" PC computers, I guess that'd be the equivalent of the
command processor).

I went to the London Science museum a couple of years ago and in the
Computer section there was a model of an "old" computer room. The model was
of the computer that I used to operate... I bored the kids telling them what
all the coloured buttons were called and what they did.

Grief, I really am getting old.

Sam