Re: [OM] Shutter speed ring is "tight"

Subject: Re: [OM] Shutter speed ring is "tight"
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 13:59:53 -0700
It depends on your 'small device electromechanical DIY' skills. I haven't done this on a 2s, but on OMPCs and on a 2N and/or maybe a 4. The grease dries out and/or gets dust and dirt mixed into it. It simply needs to be cleaned and relubed. However, the usual stufff applies; be very careful to note how everything goes together as it comes apart, don't lose the little detent ball and spring, don't damage the delicate brushes that contact the circuit board, etc. Is there a string that attaches to the ring on that model? If so, be careful of it and note carefully how it attaches. That detent ball is tricky; it is supposed to be just sitting loose on top of the spring, but dirt will sometimes gunk it up and hold it in until you touch or clean it, and then it will pop out and hide. Be sure to pull out the soring and clean it, that little hole collects guck.

If all that makes you uncomfortable, you probably shouldn't dig into it.

Moose

Doggre@xxxxxxx wrote:

John, Clint, anybody?

The shutter speed ring on my OM-2S is "tight", almost refusing to budge at times. Yeah, I know it's probably CLA time, but is there anything I can do to free it up some for awhile longer? Short of squirting WD-40 or transmission oil all over it? (kidding, KIDDING!)

It sure doesn't compare to the ring on the OM-2n. What a DREAM that one is!

It WAS dusty on the trail up on Mt. Rainier the last couple times I was up there. Argh.

Rich