Re: [OM] Workflow in digital darkroom

Subject: Re: [OM] Workflow in digital darkroom
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 16:27:15 -0700

On Saturday, April 12, 2003, at 03:54 PM, Tom Scales wrote:

I only use 8-bit too. Still ends up with 60MB files with the LS-4000. I
can't see ANY difference between the two.

Tom

I am only just getting started with this stuff, but my understanding is that the greater bit depth is there in case your exposure is not spot on or of exceptionally wide exposure range. You can use levels to save it and then throw the unused bits away giving you more control over the image. Then when you get it in 8 bit the histogram looks normal. If you do your "save" in 8 bit you get a final histogram that is abnormal with a little space between each of the little bars presumably destroying smooth transitions.

You are probably right though about it not making much difference and it is godawful tedious. I am finding that many of the big issues in digital are "Mt. St. Molehills". It is easier than it looks sometimes.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA