Re: [OM] OM-4 Woes

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4 Woes
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 09:01:36 -0800

On Friday, April 4, 2003, at 11:31 PM, Johnny Johnson wrote:

I own two OM-4 bodies, one of which has had metering problems for a while. The actual auto exposures seem to be pretty accurate but the readings in the viewfinder are off by a couple of stops. The repair estimates that I've received are ~$200 so I had decided to just leave well enough alone, save my money, and use this body as a backup for the other OM-4 by staying away from using it in manual mode.

Well, tonight I was sorting everything out preparing for a trip to North Carolina/Virginia when I noticed that the metering on the other body is also acting up. In Auto mode and the ASA set to something higher than 25 the shutter fires at about 1/60 no matter the light source or aperture setting. If the ASA dial is set to 25 it then gives a reasonable exposure time. Also, it appears to be operating properly in Spot mode but I sure wouldn't have much confidence in using it that way now.

Not sure why people are so averse to spending a little bit to keep their classic equipment going. I also don't understand the logic that one would dump something with a minor malfunction to buy something similar, probably with a malfunction, from someone else. Clint or John could certainly do a CLA for much less than what you have been quoted and they may end up good as new. There is an old used car buyer's saying, "The cheapest car is the one you all ready own." I think that applies to more than just cars.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA