Re: [OM] OM-4 Woes

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4 Woes
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 07:48:25 -0600
At 02:31 AM 4/5/2003 -0500, you wrote:
Hi y'all,

I don't imagine that anyone can help me with my immediate OM problems but I thought I might at least find a sympathetic shoulder to cry on.

I own two OM-4 bodies, one of which has had metering problems for a while. The actual auto exposures seem to be pretty accurate but the readings in the viewfinder are off by a couple of stops. The repair estimates that I've received are ~$200 so I had decided to just leave well enough alone, save my money, and use this body as a backup for the other OM-4 by staying away from using it in manual mode.

Well, tonight I was sorting everything out preparing for a trip to North Carolina/Virginia when I noticed that the metering on the other body is also acting up. In Auto mode and the ASA set to something higher than 25 the shutter fires at about 1/60 no matter the light source or aperture setting. If the ASA dial is set to 25 it then gives a reasonable exposure time. Also, it appears to be operating properly in Spot mode but I sure wouldn't have much confidence in using it that way now.

So, I guess I'll throw my OM-2N body in the bag for this upcoming trip but, long term, I'm thinking I might as well cut my losses by selling the OM-4 bodies on eBay for parts, cull my meager collection of lenses and accessories down to a bare minimum, and keep my OM-1N for old times sake. The bright side of my problem is that I really need to make room for a digital SLR anyway!

Later,
Johnny

Johnny,
If I were leaving OM for the most part for digital, I'd probably do as you are and keep an OM-1 and OM-2N. If I were going to continue using OM seriously, I'd get the OM-4s fixed (though I hope you understand I'm not saying the other cameras are not "serious"). Just my $.02.

I guess you've tried the ASA dial trick.

I do feel your pain.

Joel W.