[OM] Ebay Jerks and Weasels

Subject: [OM] Ebay Jerks and Weasels
From: Frank Griffin <frankrad4@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 10:29:32 -0500
   I have had pretty good luck with  buying and selling OM's on ebay,
until recently. My latest deals have gone rather sour, because of two
types of scams. Scam # 1 goes something like this: I receive T-32 with
crack in battery box. This crack is obviously started from the inside of
box with outward pressure, looks like it was done from user installing
batteries. I e-mail seller and he says it was perfect when it left so
just FILE A CLAIM ! with UPS. As far as I am concerned this is dead wrong
because the box arrived in perfect shape, there was no outside impact and
UPS did their job as far as I'm concerned. The seller says that is all he
can do for me so I guess I'm screwed !
  Scam #2 goes like this: This time a buyer gets a 35-70/3.6 using "Buy
it Now" for $245.00 from me. I notice that this buyer
ebay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx has lots of feedback as a seller of camera equipment
but not much of a track record as a buyer, so I start to worry, I figure
he intends to sell the lens, but how can he make any money when he paid
245.00 for the lens ? In a few days I find out how, its called the shake
down. He says there is some dust in the lens and goes on about how he
doesn't know if it can be cleaned and If I refund him $100.00 it will be
OK. Otherwise I should pay shipping both ways and the refund because the
lens "was not advertised properly" so which would I rather do? I point
out that I graded the lens KEH EX in my ad , which states "glass may have
some dust, but no marks" and I provided a link to my auction page and the
KEH grade page. His reply is to ignore this fact and say give me $100.00
and we have a deal.  I feel he is taking advantage of my 1000ositive
feedback and no questions asked return policy. I would even refund
shipping if my description was wrong. So do I eat the shipping, or the
$100.00 or have this guy ruin my feedback if I don't submit to his
extortion ?
                                           Frank