Re: [OM] Re: Standard lens?

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Standard lens?
From: "Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 01:11:49 -0500
> (One-third stop increments have become popularized via the ASA film speed
> system.)

This reminds me of a few times I was quietly giving advice to a young lady in
the Advanced B&W class.  Somehow we got on the topic
of bracketing for color slides and I mentioned bracketing in 1/3 stops for
ultra-careful work.

A kid told me I was giving bad advice.  He said I should keep quiet if I didn't
know what I was talking about.  I asked him if he
was familiar with the film speed dial, and he said "Sure."  I asked him how
many steps there are between 100 and 200.  He thought it
was a trick question.  When I talked him through it, he was dead sure that 125
and 160 had to be half stops, not 1/3 stops.

The next week he objected when I called a plastic, medium format  Diana camera
"a 6 by 6".

"They're not 'six' ANYTHING!!  Everyone knows they're 'two-and-a-quarter'.
After I explained what 6cms is, he said, "From now on
you should always use inches.  We're in the USA.  We use inches."

"Oh, really," said I?  "So by your rules we can't call our main cameras
'thirty-five millimeter SLRs'.  We'll have to say
'One-point-four-inch SLR' from now on."

"Huh?"

Weird kid.

Lama