Re: [OM] How to hot shoe supports back on?

Subject: Re: [OM] How to hot shoe supports back on?
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 15:29:47 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Brian Swale wrote:

> The mounts are not stainless steel as far as I know. Stainless steel has one
> great property in that it work-hardens. In other words, rub it, and the
> rubbed surface gets harder. But it is quite difficult to machine stainless
> steel.

The body side of the mount is machined stainless steel, and the lens side of
the mount is plated stamped brass.  No need to worry about the body side
wearing out (although it can happen), the lens side is more likely to fail
first.  It would take an enormous amount of use to wear either one out, I
don't think the majority of users need to worry about it.  I'm not so sure
any lubricant on the mount is a good idea, because as you said, it will attract
dirt and end up causing more wear.  The best preventative measure you can
take to prevent mount failure is to occasionally clean the body and lens
mounts.
                                -mark