[OM] OTF and Exposure Memory on OM4

Subject: [OM] OTF and Exposure Memory on OM4
From: "CyberSimian" <CyberSimian2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 14:33:46 -0000
------ Original message ------
> Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 13:15:06 -0500
> From: "Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] Framing and matting supplies

> Sure, *now* you guys are discussing semantics.  Fine.  Where were you last
> week when I was explaining that OTF and Memory are mutually exclusive on
> the OM4?  :)  I did all of the heavy lifting by myself.  You guys are
> KILLING me.  :)

Perhaps I missed a post somewhere, but OTF is precisely how the OM4Ti works
in memory mode, when the exposure mode is set to "Auto".  I just tried it on
my OM4Ti:

(1)  Set the camera to "Auto" exposure, and activate the metering system.
(2)  Push the "Memo" switch; "memo" appears in the viewfinder.
(3)  Move the camera onto subjects of different brightness and notice how
the meter reading varies.
(4)  Operate the shutter to take the picture.
(5)  Now move the camera onto subjects of different brightness, and notice
how the meter reading is frozen at the value used for the first picture.
(6)  Alter the aperture setting, and notice how the shutter speed reading
varies in a complementary fashion so as to keep the memorised exposure value
constant.

The exposure value is not locked into the camera until the first picture is
taken.  This means that OTF can be used for that picture.  It is not like
the exposure-lock facility common on autofocus cameras, where the exposure
is locked as soon as you press the exposure-lock button (prior to taking the
picture).

-- from Cy in the UK