Re: [OM] OTF and Exposure Memory on OM4

Subject: Re: [OM] OTF and Exposure Memory on OM4
From: Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 23:26:19 -0500
At 11:16 AM 3/23/03, you wrote:

------ Original message ------
> Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 13:15:06 -0500
> From: "Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] Framing and matting supplies

> Sure, *now* you guys are discussing semantics.  Fine.  Where were you last
> week when I was explaining that OTF and Memory are mutually exclusive on
> the OM4?  :)  I did all of the heavy lifting by myself.  You guys are
> KILLING me.  :)

Perhaps I missed a post somewhere, but OTF is precisely how the OM4Ti works
in memory mode, when the exposure mode is set to "Auto".  I just tried it on
my OM4Ti:

(1)  Set the camera to "Auto" exposure, and activate the metering system.
(2)  Push the "Memo" switch; "memo" appears in the viewfinder.
(3)  Move the camera onto subjects of different brightness and notice how
the meter reading varies.
(4)  Operate the shutter to take the picture.
(5)  Now move the camera onto subjects of different brightness, and notice
how the meter reading is frozen at the value used for the first picture.
(6)  Alter the aperture setting, and notice how the shutter speed reading
varies in a complementary fashion so as to keep the memorised exposure value
constant.

The exposure value is not locked into the camera until the first picture is
taken.  This means that OTF can be used for that picture.  It is not like
the exposure-lock facility common on autofocus cameras, where the exposure
is locked as soon as you press the exposure-lock button (prior to taking the
picture).

-- from Cy in the UK

There seems to be confusion re how the OM-4T (OM-4Ti) operates.

When using the center-weighted system, what you write is true; when the operator actuates the spot function, the first exposure reading immediately locks in and will not vary regardless of where the camera might subsequently be pointed except and unless further spot readings are taken, in which case the readings are averaged collectively (up to eight places, whereupon the first reading is replaced by the ninth and so on). During the light-reading phase there is a another LED within the viewfinder which indicates what the spot reading is as the camera points around, but for purposes of the spot-function memory any new reading must be actuated by the operator's positive action--all that's stored in memory are the readings taken when the operator pushes down on the spot-function button.

The camera's memory of spot-function events will automatically erase after each exposure unless the operator saves these readings by moving the switch over to the left (MEMORY) before he trips the shutter. This reading will then be saved for an hour or so, or until the operator either 1) clears the memory by moving the switch over to the right (CLEAR) or 2) shuts the camera off. (So to speak. A 4T might be dead but is never completely off. <g>)

Or if the lens is removed.

Gregg

And yes, all these exposures (center-weighted and spot) are taken OTF.

Hope that's clear.

Tris