Re: [OM] MORE 2nd Annual Great Road Trip

Subject: Re: [OM] MORE 2nd Annual Great Road Trip
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 10:52:55 -0800

Some good captures there, John. One of who appears to be lead Brian Benson, then another of the bald-headed drummer (I assume that's another group), then a couple of the lady singers--who do these people sing with? This was a concert with more than one band performing, yes?

Thank you. Not really. It was in a small local club. I believe the man on the keyboard has played with major names in the past as a "hired gun." He is very good. It is a monthly "jam" which opens with a local group for about a half hour or so. While they're playing musicians sign up to play. After the first set, musicians are assembled into lead, rhythm, bass and drum, along with "harp" players and possibly vocalists. Usually the lead/rhythm is also a vocalist. Likely sounds chaotic but it's not and works out very well. I've never been disappointed by the mix & match results. None of them have any notoriety beyond central Indiana that I'm aware of. Every one of them has a "day job" and at least half of them work where I do!

Well, I certainly understand having to have a day job to supplement one's avocations. The olio you describe isn't strange to me, though I haven't seen it as much in northern California. (It's not all that rare to find musicians sitting in around here for a session, especially with jazz, but it isn't what you'd call a regular concert formula.)

I haven't bothered with the faster B&W films after my trial-and-error period (and disappointment) with Kodak's T-MAX p3200. From what I can see off the Ilford sheet, Delta 3200 works about the same as its Kodak counterpart, nominally rated at 1000, with apparently greater contrast. (One never knows anymore with web displays.)

I normally use P3200 at EI 1600 and push 1. Results are similar with TMax giving a bit less contrast. P3200 at EI 1600 looks a bit like Tri-X at its rated speed.

I haven't tried all the various developmental approaches Kodak suggests, and I haven't been in a lab myself for a coon's age. The lab my stuff goes to in Santa Cruz asks for the in-camera rating, with no apparent option for chemicals--that may exist but as I haven't actually been to this lab I wouldn't know. I ought to scoot over there one day. (The camera shop I drop my film off at is the one where the owner isn't even aware that Kodak changed Tri-X and leaves Kodachrome on the open shelf, so there you go.)

Next time I require the extra speed I'll give T-MAX p3200 another trial, this time with specific instruction for the Santa Cruz end of the equation.

By the way, I presume you mean the _old_ Tri-X look when you speak of T-MAX p3200 grain. This new formulation has been altered significantly in that regard.

What I don't understand is where the benefit lies in using these other "faster" emulsions when it's quite possible to push Tri-X a couple of stops with very good results--_was_ possible with the older emulsion, have no idea what the results might be with this new stuff. And assuming one doesn't mind the Tri-X grain--which seems to have mainly disappeared these days. <g>

IMO Tri-X at Push 2 (EI 1600) is grainier and contrastier than TMax P3200 at EI 1600. Of course this is dependent on development. I send my stuff to a pro lab in Indianapolis. I asked a while back what they use, and it's TMax developer.

For the new stuff I believe that'd be correct, and I've good reason to believe this has been the case for some time with the old Tri-X. Mircodol and XTOL or whatever might still be used but I suppose most labs would follow the path of least resistance and drop everything into T-MAX--fewer chemicals to bother with, shorter development times and like time. But that's just a guess.

Either way, I never did see all _that_ much change in the end result. Do you recall (over 30 years ago now--1970 or thereabouts) when UPI published a picture of the Rhine river and one its bridges where the negative has been exposed in a solution of the polluted river's water itself?! I never followed that up, though I kept a clipping of that picture for years, finally losing it somewhere in a move. I'm not sure that that was Tri-X or some other film stock--wouldn't surprise me if it had been--for all I know you could get a useable image from that stuff out of chicken soup.

First question: how was this concert lighted?

Similar to what you described. Some overhead white floods with the three banks of colored ones . . . one on each side and a third in front. The lights are on dimmers and they're not afraid to crank them down. Most of the performers are not accustomed to bright stage lights; some actually complain if they're cranked up. No spots; only the banks of floods.

Your stage lighting must have been dimmed down quite a bit, then--that, or it stood three or four times the distance off stage than the setup I was forced to work with last week at the Stewart concert. For these small affairs one never knows until he takes readings at the event. A couple of extra long spots and a white flood or two would have helped me enormously in terms of the DOF I had to work with--basically not much at all with the 100mm in front of Tri-X, not all that much better when I used it to make color frames. I missed a few good moments by either not having enough DOF to get everything I wanted in focus, or missing the shot entirely trying to get everything into acceptable focus selecting a midway point. (And I only needed to cover about six feet, at that.)

The first attempt at shooting it was late spring or early summer last year. I loaded up with Tri-X at rated speed after consulting my guide on existing light for small stages. Ooops! They are definitely running lower lighting levels than the average stage; even a small one. Since I had started at EI 400, I finished it out at that speed after grabbing the 50/1.2 and running it wide open . . . saying prayers the entire time. Realized I definitely needed something faster and went to TMax P3200. This one from October was a trial of the Ilford to see how it compared. If I do this again I will use the TMax. Both the TMax and Delta are intended to be used at EI 3200 and Push 2 while not becoming too harsh with contrast or grain. Backing off to EI 1600 opens both of them up in latitude, the TMax apparently more than the Delta. Again, P3200 at EI 1600 looks a *lot* like Tri-X at rated speed including its grainularity.

We'll see. At the moment I think of T-MAX as more of a special-purpose medium, where it's grain might somehow aid a desire to intentionally diffuse detail or otherwise create mood. I was going to give an image to illustrate what I mean but it turns out I've lost track of the original scan, and working with my JPEG copy doesn't make it. I'll re-scan and work it up again from scratch, then present it.

I'd be using Tri-X at rated speed if it were a couple stops brighter lighting. IMHO, it's a classic, timeless film that's matched for this type of music and its performers.

It's well-matched for a lot of settings, and for my taste nothing can hope to touch it for portrait work--though I like Plus-X in that regard, too. I've stuck with Tri-X over the years for just one reason: there's never been anything as good on balance, especially in the street. For a short time I became mildly enamored with HP5, but soon enough it drove me back to Tri-X--the newspaper I worked for at the time made a similar decision after a bare month.

Has anyone on the list worker with HP5 Plus? If so, how has it changed?

I do appreciate you taking the time to be so thoughtful, John, and as always look forward to seeing your periodic work with Kodachrome. (You know, you're probably the last person on the planet using it for snapshots. <g>)

Tris