Re: Re: [OM] OM-4 memo on auto mode

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] OM-4 memo on auto mode
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 21:17:43 -0800

You're absolutely right, which is why I habitually do _not_ use the memory function except in cases where I'm working fast in shadowed areas where all the exposures need to be similar and where the light factor does not change dramatically from one frame to the next.

Good points, all.

Tris

On the other hand, if you use the OM-4 in Auto mode, you would get a steplessly- selected shutter speed. Let's say you have the lens clicked into the f/16 detent and the first exposure is 1/52th of a second for the sake of the discussion. When you turn to the left, assuming you don't make any changes to the camera (other than wind-on!) the bald sky now gives you a radically different exposure. It's steplessly selected but it has *nothing* to do with the first exposure. The taxi is not the same tone in both frames. You would have a very hard time stitching it because the two exposures are not consistent with each other. Slide shooters know *EXACTLY* what I'm talking about.