Re: Re: [OM] OM-4 memo on auto mode

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] OM-4 memo on auto mode
From: lamadoo@xxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 21:03:35 -0500
It's been a while since I read the OM-4 factory manuals "A" and "B" but as I
recall neither one is model of clarity or detail.  I remember very clearly
thinking that the translations were completely unusable for technical topics.

For example, if I aim a 4 at the bald sky (in center-Auto without Spot) and
rock over to "Memory", one would hope that the camera remembers the "sky"
setting even if I walk into a coalmine.  That's what I put into "MEMORY",
right?

The quote (below) doesn't say that an Auto 'recording' is overwritten by an OTF
measurement.  Read it word-for-word.  It says that the camera will remember the
exposure.  It's not the same thing.  In many places the manuals use vague,
flowery, hyped, marketing-oriented language when rational, lucid explanation is
called for.

I have "A" and "B" but I suspect that the Shipman book is far superior.  I was
impressed with the T32 information in the Shipman book but the owner's manual
for the T32 is not clear at all.  Don't believe me?  Try to find out how to
read the manual exposure when using 1/4 power.  First off, the dial calls 1/4
power "56" or something, after the GN in feet at EI 100 and the manual doesn't
explain that it's just 2 stops less light!  It's not on the flash.  It's not in
the manual.  It's "mystery mode".

Back to the 4.  You either have OTF or "Memory".  It's either/or.  It has to be
or you don't have a "Memory" at all.

Lama