[OM] Re: What's the truth about film cameras?

Subject: [OM] Re: What's the truth about film cameras?
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 14:49:10 -0800
>From: "danrich" <danrich@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
>How could business into film cameras just go away with a still huge market?

Y'know, I asked my broker something similar the other day, only in regards to
this buggy-whip stock I have... :-)

If you REALLY want to know more than you ever wanted to know about this, look
up the works of Geoffrey Moore (Crossing the Chasm, Inside the Tornado). He's
the leading guru on the "technology adoption life-cycle".

To summarize, film is mostly going to go away -- it's inevitable. Moore can
help you understand why, when, and what to do about it, unless you're a
"laggard," who stubbornly clings to dying technologies as they are superceded.

>Very worried and not ready to give up to digital.

You don't have to jump all at once, unless you wait too long.

Go to eBay and pick up one of the top digitals of a few years ago. You should
be able to get it for well under $400. Play with it; figure it out. Then you'll
be an informed consumer when the time comes to get a current model.

My favorite "old digital" is the Olympus D-600L. This was THE DIGICAM to have
in its day. It's a true SLR design. It's only 1.4 megapixels, but every one of
them is good. :-) Should be able to pick one up for $150 or so. Check with the
seller to make sure it is "32MB" ready -- older ones would not take more than 8
MB of memory. Disadvantages: auto-only, poor low-light focusing, no external
flash capability.

My Dad won first place in his photo club's monthly competition with an 8x10
from this camera -- the first digital to be entered. But he didn't tell them
until after he won, and nobody had a clue before they voted...

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>