Re: [OM] In praise of Tamron lens caps & etc.

Subject: Re: [OM] In praise of Tamron lens caps & etc.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 18:31:13 -0800
As to subject braces, thanks Skip and Paul. I was sort of joking about that, as I know such things exist, but I didn't know where to look. I do have a thingie that fits in the hot shoe and holds things to act as lens shades, but it's too short for holding subjects.

As to tents and windbreaks, thanks Skip and Jim. The primary purpose of this expedition was to take a friend visiting frome Maine out and about, so only carried a very light kit. Very strong, gusty wind off the ocean and up a canyon would have made both methods difficult. I was sorry I didn't take a longer lens and a tripod, as a herd of Tule Elk showed up at just the right distance for a 300mm+ lens.

Wayne, I'm sure you are right, but I was never a morning person and retirement has allowed me to fully develop my 'true self'. Early morning photos, esp in a distant locale, 'ain't happening'. Well, in summer I could wait up for them and then take a long nap ;-)

Walt, don't think I didn't think about the relocation thing, but this was a primarily recreational trip, not serious photo trip. Besides, I'm not sure if I could carry all that loose sandy, side of the hill soil with the yellow variant Cailf. poppy hanging in front the subtle reds, rusts, etc. of iceplant a half mile up a narrow trail in a high wind and end up with anything by the time I got there anyway.

Also, of course, I was doing something else already. Also, the confluence of these particular subjects and still days is rare and unpredictable.

You know, close-ups of flowers at f22 with Velvia rated at 40 iso in bright sun and maybe fill flash are nice. But I also love the way the world looks in other kinds of weather. There is a different vividness to colors, textures of foliage become much more apparent and fascinating, even the relationship between colors changes in the different light. Some of my favorite images have been made in these 'difficult' conditions. I had a few on my old picture site, but I've changed ISP and haven't gotten back to posting pics yet.The challenges excite me and I'm hoping I made some more good ones yesterday. I suppose that's the reason I'm more familiar with 200-800 speed films than slower ones.

Moose

Skip Williams wrote:

I've seen some sort of gadget to keep flowers in place by a clamp.  Check out
Lepp's or Kirk Enterprises' site.

For real closeups in wind, the best way is with some sort of light tent that
gets staked down to the ground.  But they are cumbersome.

Paul Laughlin wrote:
Photographer's Edge has a flexible arm, the holds it position and has a clamp on each end of it. Looks like it would really come in handy. Their catalog shows it holding a flower in position. Unfortunately, they don't have an online catalog. However, a catalog can be ordered from their web page at photographersedge.com. And that includes a sample of their card type photo mount.

James N. McBride wrote:
I've used a cardboard panel on a stake to act as a windblock when photographing
flowers in the wind. You, of course, have to be careful of what it does to the
light. It can also be a reflector to help control the light.

Wayne Harridge wrote:

Photograph them really early in the morning - it tends to be less windy then.

Walt Wayman wrote:

Or just cut the damn thing down, or dig it up, whichever is easier, and take it back to the SUV, where all the gear and the beer and the guns are, where you'll be out of the wind and where the little woman can smile and be helpful and hold the flash or the reflector or the flower, or whatever the thing was before you harvested it, and you won't have to worry about the environmental inconveniencies and all that kind of aggravating outdoor stuff.

Just kidding.

When it comes to macro photography and windy days, my solution is quite simple:
I find something else to do.

Walt