RE: [OM] Reviewing the Basics of PL's with OM-4

Subject: RE: [OM] Reviewing the Basics of PL's with OM-4
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 07:32:45 -0000
Not sure if you will be using the OM spot meter or a handheld Joel.  If the
latter, you are correct.  If the former, then you really need a circular
polarizer with an OM-4, otherwise you can't be sure whether the spot meter
has already made the correction or not, due to the semi-silvered mirror in
the (2SP, 3 and) 4 which conflicts with a linear polarizer.  You get the
same effect with the viewfinder display using averaging metering but actual
exposure is unaffected.  With spot metering, the exposure is affected.  Or
are you proposing to meter without the polarizer, then adjust?  That would
work.

Piers