Re: [OM] Lens hood for Tokina RMC 28-85/4 - WTB or Info

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens hood for Tokina RMC 28-85/4 - WTB or Info
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 16:33:05 +0100
I picked one of these up on UK *Bay some while ago for £20 (around $32) in
fine condition. I also lack a hood, if anyone knows a source!

Regards/Mvh.,
Roger Key

Moose wrote:

I've always been curious about the Tokina RMC 28-85/4. Both the Cult
Classics site and Gary's tests say it's a better performer than the AT-X
version. So I was setting up a snipe (successful using auctionstealer)
for a 135/4.5 and noticed the same seller had the Tokina as well. So I
set a snipe on it too and got it for $42. They arrived today and the
Tokina is in almost as good shape as the ex++ Zuiko. What interests me
particularly is that the front element moves much like the one in the
35-70/3.6. The outside of the mount and filter threads don't move as the
lens is zoomed. At 28mm, the FE is all the way forward and as it is
zoomed toward 55mm, the FE moves back into the mount about 15mm. From
55-85mm, it then moves forward about 3mm. This makes me think that the
lens hood for this lens would, like the 35-70/3.6 (although somewhat
less so), be far more effective at longer focal lengths than hoods on
more conventional zooms.

Thus, I am interested in finding the original hood for this lens (Yeah,
right, but if I don't ask, I don't have a chance at all.). Failing that,
I know at least a couple of listees have this lens and I'm hoping one
has the original lens hood. If so, I would much appreciate learning the
2 crucial dimensions:
1. The depth of the front of the hood to the front of the filter thread
2. The inside diameter of the hood.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Moose