Re: [OM] OM Black +White/digital

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Black +White/digital
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 21:48:18 -0800
At 09:45 AM 3/1/2003 -0600, Joel Wilcox wrote:
John,
The primary disadvantage is the time it takes and the inconvenience of developing film and scanning it as compared to an unmediated digital source. That said, I've been doing what you describe for about 6 years now. I like the idea that I can either scan or wet print my winners. I really like film. When people tell me they are surprised I don't have a digital camera, I don't disparage digital cameras, I just tell them I really like film. It's much easier for me to say nice things about films than think of reasons against digital (especially as I really have nothing against digital in principle).

BTW I am very happy printing BW with color inks. I print a lot more color than BW, so I would probably settle for some compromises anyway, but honestly I don't feel compromised in any way. One thing that I know that helps is Colorvision's profiling software. When I build a profile, one of my tests as to whether I've gotten the profile right is the ability to print a neutral grayscale image in RGB mode.

Joel, can you tell me more? I am just starting to play around with B&W conversion. How do you print B&W? What kind of neutral gray image do you use? What printer? etc.