Re: [OM] Looking for 50mm f2 Macro info!

Subject: Re: [OM] Looking for 50mm f2 Macro info!
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 09:07:22 +0800
Skip Williams wrote:

I'm working a wide comparison of 50mm lenses (non scientific), which includes a
50/2, 50/3.5, 50/1.8 MIJ, and a 50/1.4, so in a few weeks perhaps I'll have
some photos for you.  It will also include a wide variety of Leica and
Voigtlander lenses.

Can't wait for the results!

Garry Reese has some performance data, and I think that photodo.com has some
too.  You should check out the big French magazine too.  The 50/2 is a big lens
for a 50mm if you haven't ever used one (especially vs. the svelte 50/1.8).  I
found it too big when I owned mine.  But the real reason that it got sold was
that I almost never used the 50mm focal length with an SLR, preferring a
rangefinder for that focal length.
I use the 50mm almost exclusively. I have gotten so good at it, that I can actually look at a scene, and know what 47 degrees field of view looks like, and step there before I even pull up my camera. I thought it would be hard, but it seems that 2000+ shots in 2 months will do that to a man ;-)

As an aside, why would you consider an OM3ti in the "ultimate travel package"?
I would take an OM4Ti in a heartbeat before I'd spring for a 3ti due to the excessive
cost and the improved functionality offered by the AE of the 4ti (and I put my money
where my mouth is by having two 4ti's and an OM-1).  The only thing that I'd do is to
stuff the OM-1 in my suitcase as a backup.
MECHANICAL. I am the guy who has removed all scopes from my guns, because I don't like to depend on secondary systems! Also, my experience in Thailand taught me a lot... My Om1n got waterlogged, and the meter died, but that didn't stop me from shooting!! Not that if I was offered an Om4Ti I wouldn't take it ;-)

Skip

Please reply to [skipwilliams at pobox.com]
Direct responses to the email address on the header may get lost