Re: [OM] Velvia @ 40 ASA

Subject: Re: [OM] Velvia @ 40 ASA
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 07:28:48 -0600
At 06:40 PM 2/22/2003 -1000, you wrote:
Aloha & Mahalo Joel and Mickey on the ASA 40 answer
Another question:
Best not to use a Polarize lens w/Velvia because it dose better on it's own
and looses a full stop considering it's ready set at 40, let alone 50ASA?
Dan

Dan,
I use a polarizer quite a lot in HI, regardless of film type. With water, sky, clouds, it makes a huge difference. Be careful with wide angle lenses and polarizers.

If you go here:

http://members.tripod.com/jdubikins/Hawaii/seascape/seascape.html

Select "eastend coastline 1" to see the full polarizer effect. It's a morning shot, early, but sun fully up. Vantage point is facing northeast. You can see the polarizer effect fade a little to the upper right corner but not too bad. The ocean had quite a bit of reflective glare which the PL removed.

If you go here:

http://members.tripod.com/jdubikins/Hawaii/land/land.html

the "Baptist Church, Ho'olehua" shows how the polarizer exaggerates the uneven sky. The sky will be uneven in some directions no matter what you do, so you decide what you can live with.

You can also "bracket" the polarizer effect too: shoot one with maximum polarization, then shoot another after backing off the effect a little.

It doesn't make any sense to use a PL when you include the sun in the frame, so don't use it all the time!

Do you have a tripod? I would strongly recommend it to get the best out of Velvia or any slow film.

Joel W.