Re: [OM] Unfamiliar brand on the bay - is this another cheapo? [ On beha

Subject: Re: [OM] Unfamiliar brand on the bay - is this another cheapo? [ On behalf of Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>]
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 13:45:46 +0100
Begin forwarded message:

Date: 23 Feb 2003 08:02:15 -0000
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Olympus Digest <olympus-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] Unfamiliar brand on the bay - is this another
cheapo?

Tom S. wrote:

<< The only thing I would challenge is the early 50/1.4.  I know the
latest 50/1.4 is the best, for most things, but there is a warmth to
the
early lens that I like. >>

Moose wrote:

<< but look at Gary's test of a SC 50/1.4, it's worse than the latest
version with a bad filter!. I think these lenses got better before
the
more obvious change to MC, but how to tell which is which? >>

Tom knows that his early, radioactive 50mm f/1.4, has extremely high
resolution values in the central part of the frame. Corners are
pretty
yucky with flat subjects at a 1:41 ratio, but that center is up with
the
best of any Zuiko. I tested his on Fujichrome 64T Type II, which has
much higher resolution that the "Type I" I used for the lens test
page.
I can't post any of the few Type II results because it would confound
the methodology.

When Olympus dropped the use of radioactive glass in the first
version
of the 50mm f/1.4, the performance dropped off like a choir with
laryngitis. It took till the last version to get the center
performance
on par with the first version. The edge performance improved with
each
version.

FWIW, anyone who wants whopping good performance for the money should
check out the Bronica RF645 lenses. They rock!

Gary (still unsubscribed) Reese
Las Vegas, NV