Re: [OM] Backpack vs shoulder bag. Was: Tamron 80-200 storage/carry solu

Subject: Re: [OM] Backpack vs shoulder bag. Was: Tamron 80-200 storage/carry solutions - Timbuk2?
From: Ed Senior <newshawk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 10:24:55 -0500
My favorite bag (in fact, my only bag) is a f64 SC bag. It holds almost everything I own (I'm financially challenged at this point, or I'd have more) and has some very cool features. The top opens away from you so it's easier to get into the bag when it's by your side and it has a waist strap. I use the waist strap with the shoulder strap when I'm heading through airports... makes it much easier to maneuver when you know the bag is right on my hip.

The best part? I found one on B&H Photo's web site that was new, still in the bag, but being sold as used. I got the bag for at least 500ff B&H's price!

Ed Senior

Bernard Frangoulis wrote:

Regarding bags, there are apparently 2 categories of photographers: the backpack type, and the shoulder bag type.

Personally, when traveling, I cannot imagine having my lenses in a backpack. Say you are visiting a town, a market, etc., photographing people and the town itself - with a backpack, for each photo, I would have to remove the backpack, put it on the ground, get the camera, change the lens if necessary... With a shoulder bag, I have everything readily accessible (including the camera - I don't like carrying it around my neck, I prefer to keep it in the bag, with a short strap to grab it). Sure, carrying a shoulder bag can be a pain in the a**, but the advantages are determinant for me. Under other circumstances, for instance photographing landscape only, I can imagine the backpack is OK.

In addition, I don't want the shoulder bag to be a rigid "case" with everything neatly packaged (I find LowePro and Tamrac bags to be too rigid). I need a bag that keeps close to my body, with the camera and lenses easily accessible at all time. The only bags I have found to fit this description are Domke bags. I have an F-3X and an F-2 - and all would be perfect except that I now find the F-3X a little bit too small, and the F-2 a little bit too large (too long actually). So I am still in the never ending search for the perfect bag... Perhaps the F-4AF would be OK?.....