[OM] Tamron 80-200 storage/carry solutions - Timbuk2?

Subject: [OM] Tamron 80-200 storage/carry solutions - Timbuk2?
From: Mike Darling <miked2002@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 21:59:14 -0500
Ok, I gather a bunch of you have this lens so I'm hoping someone can give me
some suggestions on what to carry mine around in.  I've found that it's just
a little too tall for my Domke J-3 when a body is mounted.  Though I love
this bag, it's just a little too much for me to lug back and forth on my
daily commute (45mi by train each way).

Ideally I'd like to be able to:
* carry the lens with a body/winder mounted and the lens hood reversed
* have space for another body and a couple small prime lenses (35 & 50)
* be semi-weatherproof, since I usually end up walking around the city

The Tamrac 465 looks like what I want, but I'm not sure it will be big
(tall) enough.  I'd like something that will hang close to the body and not
be too obtrusive.  Something that doesn't scream "steal me!" would be nice
(but I'm only 22 so don't tell me to get a diaper bag!). Short of making
some inserts for an old army surplus bag I have, does anyone have any ideas?
What do you carry yours in?

Additionally, I have an old Timbuk2 messenger bag (the medium sized one)
that has been sitting idle since I got a larger one.  Anyone using one of
those for photo stuff?  What kind of divider system/padding are you using?

Thanks,
Mike